Friday, July 25, 2008

Roti Canai...Ohh Roti Canai..

Today I ate 4 pieces of Roti Canai. But not in one go though. 15 to 20 years ago yes, I could wallop 4 rotis in one serving. I think Azad or Mafeitz can testify to this because we always go to Warong Selera restaurant to eat canai after our morning school session. At that time it only costs us 50 sen per roti.

Roti canai is Malaysia's favourite breakfast meal. Almost anywhere we go, the choice is either nasi lemak or roti canai for breakfast. Check out flicker and look at how many pictures posted about roti canai! It's even on Wiki!

Today I had roti for breakfast at Raju restaurant in PJ. The place is cosy, very relaxing, unlike any other mamak restaurant I've been too. They serve roti using banana leaf and they charge you RM1.20 per roti. Not bad at all considering that they offer you unique ambiance to savour your canai.

In the evening, I went to this roti place at the Curve, Mutiara Damansara. This place is recommended by Megat Harris. He and his wife always come here for breakfast. No wonder I don't see them at Tesco Kayu restaurant on Sundays. They've found a better place! The roti here is lazat!. Lemak and gebu.

I know some of us might be drooling looking at these pictures!..hehehe

My favourite place is still the same. It's the champion. This mamak restaurant is located at PJ state nearby Maybank, opposite the multi storey parking place (where you can find the famous kari kepala ikan).

I can't remember the name of that restaurant, but the roti is soooo nice. It has a fine balance between juicy a.k.a greasiness, crispiness and richness in taste. This place is highly recommended. I forgot how much I paid for it. It's so good that the price is not a matter to me.

I think Malaysian can develop this one particular skill. Just like how people developed the art of wine tasting, we should develop this Roti Canai tasting skills. The sensory examination and evaluation of Roti Canai. hehehe...

A true Canai lover would be able to describe the range of flavors, aroma and general characteristics of a perfect roti canai. But in the first place, what is a perfect roti canai?? Can anyone describe it?? Is it in the preparation? Texture and taste? The shape?

That's why laaa we need to develop roti canai scoring! Perhaps Hitz.FM can come out with something! Imagine when JJ and Rudy conducts canai tasting on air...them describing the perfect canai would be hilarious!

No comments: