Thursday, August 21, 2008

10Km Merdeka Unity Run 2008...

10km? I think it was slightly more. Could be just above 11km. Last Sunday, Dataran Merdeka was filled with participants and fun seekers. It was like a carnival and according to the Press, more than 7,000 took part in the race.

As usual, before the race, the geng convened at our meeting point next to the Methodist Girl School. I realised that this is more of a 'social' run organised by the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry and the PM was there to flag us off. So much of fan fare and activities for everyone. But once we were flagged off, it was down to serious business..hehehe

Sharp 7.30am, we started running, almost the same route from our last 7km run. But this time it's further. By the time we exited Bukit Tunku near the Jln Duta tennis sports complex, it was all mental to me. From that exit, I know exactly how far Dataran Merdeka is. That was a mental killer for me. The last 3-4km undulating stretch was a real physco.

picture courtesy of Dr M...taken minutes after I crossed the finishing line...

I mentioned to Azad later that we've ran through this route before during our schooling days. Those days, when we were young, we would be sprinting and walking. Nowadays, my objective in any run is try not to stop or walk. Once if I start walking, it's difficult for me to start running again. Either my legs would collapse or I would have stomach cramps. So lari macam ayam ke itik ke tak kisah, asalkan jangan berhenti.

Azad, Dr. M, Ruslan, Halim and about 7,000 others ran for Merdeka Unity on that day. But honestly, I didn't see or feel much of unity spirit. Everybody was just leisurely soaking in the carnival atmosphere. We went back home with many goodies and gifts though. Still, I don't know why we like to torture ourselves this way. We could be sitting in a mamak stall enjoying 10 roti canai together instead of running for 10km! Kenapa ya??

1 comment:

Azad said...

For the health, fun and the certificates maaa? hehehe... We enjoy ourselves right? Tengok gambar semua senyum2.

Most importantly, the social bonding and friendship that we nurture during these sessions. :)

I love this activity.