Friday, April 03, 2009

Bird's eye view of Geelong

I have to say, the experience of taking off and landing on water is something that I will never forget! Under perfect weather condition, we took off on a Cessna seaplane and flew for about 10 minutes over the bay city of Geelong.

This is one de-tour that we never expected. We were on our way from Melbourne to the 12 Apostles via the great ocean drive and decided to stop over at Geelong's waterfront for brunch. As we were busy taking pictures, I saw this bright blue coloured seaplane cruising back to the jetty. Out of curiosity, I quickly walked over to the place where the plane was mooring. I saw one couple getting off the plane with big smiles and looking happy. Hmm...I told myself that I want that kind of smile too!!

I didn't have to persuade the rest to take the ride. We just looked at each other and straight away knew that we have to be on that plane! In no time, we found ourselves seated and fastened with safety belts. After getting clearance from the air traffic controller, the pilot throttled the plane for take off. And it was one silky smooth take off experience, flying just couple of metres over the water before the pilot took us on a steep climb to 2000ft.

The co-pilot seat offers the best view of the city .....

The view from up above was breathtaking. With limited flight time, I find it hard to divide my attention between taking pictures or just sitting back and enjoying the flight experience. It was one of the most busiest and exciting 15 minutes of my life!

Landing on water was a thrill. The approach is very similar to that of a land plane. But as the plane touches down on water, it was a very unique feeling all together. I never would have thought to have this experience in my lifetime. And I'm so glad that I have my digital compact camera to record the in-flight experience on video.

flying 2000 ft over bay city of Geelong...


I like this bit, the water landing approach is so much fun!

Nothing could beat this I thought initially. This has to to be the icing on the cake. Not even the scenic drive to the 12 Apostles can take this away from me....I was wrong. To be continued.....

more pictures of Geelong flight here

1 comment:

Azad said...

Cool!