Monday, December 19, 2005

Should I or should I not…

I got this one hobby that I really love… Model building!! Yup.. I think some of you guys know how much I like gluing, cementing, painstakingly paint these military miniatures. It’s a hobby that I’ve picked up since I was small. I think it’s in my genetic make up where I can seat for hours, reading instructions building models. My late grandfather was an avid model builder. From pirate ships to sports car, he kept most of his collections in a drawer. There was this huge model yatch that he build alone and I think It didn’t take too much of his time to complete it. It’s so big that he had to display it on top of a cupboard far from my reaching arms..hehehe. It was so detail and accurate it even had metal chain as the replica anchor, not plastic.

Geramnyeee aku tengokk.......


So last night as I was waiting for this live Chelsea Vs Arsenal match on Astro (don’t’ want to talk much about this) I took out my old airfix kit and open up this F-15E 1/48th scale model. I bought this kit along time ago, I think way back in the year 2000 along with the customized ejection seats!! Before Raidi was born, I had loads of model collections. In fact, the first year of my marriage was filled with model building! Hehehe. If I can recall, that year alone I’ve built the M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tank, Bradley’s armored personnel carrier, an amphibious assault tank and I think the most satisfied piece was this Israeli’s Merkava main battle tank. Honestly this MBT is so unique as it combines the functionality of a personnel carrier. It has a small hatch at the rear of the tank to dismount a small number of troopers and I believe this is a crucial function for the Israeli where most of their combat is conducted in an urban theatre. The shape or cutting of this MBT alone is enough for me to admire this great steel beast. Not to mention its weapons, armor and counter measure systems (for more details, check out http://www.army-technology.com/projects/merkava4/.) Paint it with the dessert yellow color scheme; you get an accurate scale model of the Israeli defense force backbone unit. Another MBT that I admire and I’ve build it twice mind you, was the British MK Challenger MBT. I was satisfied with it because I managed to put on the camouflage scheme based on the actual unit.

Should I or should I not re-start this hobby? I asked myself this question last night but the answer was obvious. I should not. This is one hobby that needs full attention and concentration to detail. I can get very addictive to this really. Once I start, it’s very hard for me to stop and I would live in my own world just like a frog under the coconut shell. Besides, the kids are still small and I don’t think they can give the same appreciation to these models like I do. Not just yet. Berkecai nanti semua, that’s what I would do if I were them. I can see myself starting this hobby again later, maybe when the kids are in standard 5 or 6. It’s a suitable age for them I think. Believe me, there’s a lot of benefit in model building and I see it as a character building tool. I myself feel that it had helped me to be a detail guy, patience, meticulous, rule abiding citizen and perhaps artistic. To build the models, you have to refer to the step-by-step instructions although at times you need to skip the ‘rule’ or bend it..hehehehe as long as the objective is achieved. Besides, at the same time, you get to learn a lot about the model that you built in the real world. My dream would be to build a model of the USS Nimitz class nuclear powered aircraft carrier. Best gilee...I can imagine the texture of the landing deck! Or the details in the hangar or service bay!! I just wish those days ada digital camera so that I can take pictures of the finished ‘product’. Damn!! I think now I got to find a digital camera with a macro function!

6 comments:

syachou said...

aku rasa elok ko buat hobi tu, keep urself young...

Azad said...

Nimitz - the nuclear powered aircraft carrier.... aaah.. I still remember that ship. This is because of our card playing times - standard 1 or 2 masa kat DJ dulu, ingat tak? Nyeh nyeh nyeh. Then, there was the airplane cards with jet fighters and other planes. Kwah kwah kwah. Eh, jom main balik cards nak?

mafiz said...

fiqar...apa ko pikir aku sudah tua ka? kekeke

azad..yaa yaaa.. i remember too! Kalau yg jet fighters card, siapa ada the black cat (stealth fighter), f14 tomcat or the B-52 bomber kira power laaa...boleh menang gitu.. mana nak cari card tu lagi? jaseema ada kut?

syachou said...

tua tak tua, u and zad will reach the 30 mark in the next couple of weeks.. dulu aku banyak jugak card tu, kalau yang keta tu ada ferarri modulo, testarossa..

yang herannya kalau yang tulis 'unknown' boleh kalahkan semua.. heran.....

mafiz said...

'Unknown' to kira Top Secret technology rasanya.. dia mesti power babas..yg lain sure kalah!

ya yaa..madulo aku ingat lagik!

p/s: kasut Ilhan aku sudah pulangkan..

Azad said...

Cuba cari laaa... boleh main next time kita jumpa.